Sunday, May 29, 2016

    Saturday, day two of Demo days. I woke up early, with not enough sleep. The Upanishads teachings were as good as any! It was pouring rain outside, and there were yellow breasted finches jumping and playing outside my window.  My book was keying on birds at the time, and I was feeling great with little sleep. I made it down to the lz, and it was still raining.  The day is not looking good.  We hang out in the lz, just talking story.  A lot of the local pilots don't even show up.  I am hanging with this kid, my age, named Willy, he is a tandem pilot and makes his money in hangglinding, super cool!  The day goes on slow, with optimism, cause it can always change.  Finally around 3p.m. the weather starts to improve.  Only one demo run going down today.  I spent most of the day playing hackysac with cool a dude from California, Brian and Sparky.  I was jamming my terrible music, having a blast.  We headed up to launch, and the only glider left to demo, was the alapha.  This is the retro trainer glider, which is as wide as it is long.  Willy teaches with it, and has had good things to say about it.  So, its a huge 210 sized glider, with light air, I am imagining its gonna be sweet, lol sure.  We go up to Marshall full of optimism.  I am cracking jokes and Ken is gonna fly his tandem solo, so were kinda equal, but he flys here everyday.  Set up is quick, and Ken gets off quick.  He is doing ok, so I launched too.  Bad idea, to early again.  I am flying this trainer glider slow as fk.  When I make my turns next to the mountain, it feels like i'm gonna get stuck and pound in.  lol Not really. but everytime I pull in to make a tighter turn, I sink out.  I started chasing Ken around, but not getting much.  I see this bird thermaling, so I try to steal it, lol.  I am going so slow that it flys right in my face and flutters at me!  Best part of flight.  I get to regionals, and catch something, but I drift strong with it, without much gain.  Ahh this glider has no penetration, and I will top land if i keep flying.  Also there was a guy on a Sport, he kept dive bombing me because he couldn't get up either.  Im low, slow and it's crowded.  Not in a comfortable place, I bail for something else. No luck... Ken is getting up, and I am milking it hardcore, this is not working out.  I scratch for twenty minutes, but there is no chance for me.  I barley make it to the lz, which was starting to get windy.  This means it has turned on, and I am nowhere near getting up.  The best I can do is entertain the lz crowd.  I put myself over the crowd, push-out, and fly backwards for an extended amount of time, trying to freak people out ;).  After enough of that, I do my normal full speed approach and land the trainer glider effortlessly.  I wanted to go up again pretty badly, but it was taco night, and it was already late.  My first real burnout day :( bummers.  Luckly Kelsey and her Mom where there to chat, and I took reigns of one of their dogs while we ate dinner.  I was super happy to chat, joke, and converse with them!  Its not hard to get me in a good mood, as long as I don't  look up lol.  Then Mitch, who flew the second alpha landed.  Even though he got above launch, he burned out quick as well. Then more people came down and landed, as the cloud shadow blocked the sun again.  It was a pretty weak day, but it was fun.  I then got asked to play hackysac by some kids. I had burnout energy, so I played and entertained the kids for a couple hours.  Chris who I flew with, the day before was handling the grill, and I was playing with his kids.  One of them had a whiny ouch when i threw my hackysack at him, and I made fun on him all night.  Not my best move, but he was so whiny and funny I couldn't help myself.  It brought me some joy lol.  Sorry dude.  Aooowwwchhh lol so funny.  Helped give me my own personal sad perspective.  I was tired, and I had little sleep the night before, so I enjoyed the movies and went to bed early.

No comments: