Friday, May 13, 2016

Marshall Island Part Two

       Day three, I scheduled a ride and a glider with Rob Makinzy. He is the main instructor and tandem pilot on the hill.  I did my routine; read, helped out Steve, then hung out at the Lz to wait for the ride up! Around 2, a group of pilots showed up to catch the shuttle with Rob.  I was super stoked, and super excited like I get.  I was chatting up a storm with some of the local pilots, while we drove up to the Marshall launch.   Rob's wife cracked a joke saying that she thought I was related to JD, because I was so chatty :).  Funny to those who know JD, and I was pleased too, cause its nice to be picked on.  At Marshall, Rob was quick to take off with his tandem, leaving me kinda clueless about the launch.  So, I just did what he did.  I launched off the platform, in a bit of a crosswind.  This is normal for me, but not the right spot :).  I got a nice thermal off the start.  Still flyin the falcon, I didn't get to crazy.  I flew for another 3 hours; trusting the hill, learning the trigger spots, and having a great time.  Rob went up for his second tandem flight, so my goal was to out last him!  Rob thermals, and has hour plus tandem flights both times.  This is really awesome, because you can learn a lot from that!  The winds in the Lz were strong and from the west.  The lift was endless, so I had to dive down and fly fast just to land.  I am used to strong landing winds, so I showed off.  Right above the Lz, I put myself in a headwind, and allowed myself to drift backwards, to grab the attention of the audience.  I then cranked a full speed downwind, base leg, and final.  I came in super fast and had a no flare, standstill landing :).  I didn't talk to much in the Lz, knowing some didn't get the longest of flights, but I was full of stoke and excitement!  I love this place and the all you can eat attitude!  I hung out and chatted with pilots until past dark just super happy!  Me and Stephen did the normal story chat.   The talks of real jobs, lifestyle choices, reasons to live, and ect.  The life of an action sports bum is not for everyone, and it's nice to meet kindred souls lol.

       Day four was a rainy morning, Stephen and I just kicked backed and continued to talk story.  I guess they don't get a lot of rain or clouds, so jokingly I claim to have brought both from Maui :).  Around 12 or so, I see rob pull in.  I race down to the Lz like an excited puppy.  It looked like a sled run, and I didn't really want to pay the 15 bucks for nothing.  Rob didn't say anything at the Lz, so I just eye flew.  I missed my opportunity to go up.  By the time he was set up and launched, the clouds had burned off, and the wind had picked up.  I was bummed.  The Wills Wing Demos started the next day, and more pilots began showing up.  I saw my opportunity and jumped!  Mind if I bum a ride :)?!!  "Sure dude", whoo hoo! Amping, I got my glider ready.  Then before going up we introduced ourselves.  Sparky, was a pilot from Colorado who had previously chimed in on my flying post on hangglide.org, and knew my uncle Mark Rowland from Colorado!  Boom instant friends!  He had even flown some of my local sites back in the day!  So awesome!  His buddy was Kevin Carter, whom became a good friend and mentor later in the week! We drove up to marshall, and got set up.  I had the easiest glider to set up, so I am off first.  I decided to try the top launch that the local kid mentioned the the day before.  Walk, jog, run run run and woah, I get lifted way before the hill faded away, and I had to be on it.  lol, Another easy but slightly weird launch for me.  I did it perfectly, it just felt weird watching the slope not change, no biggie.  We flew around for another 2 hours, and I had a blast testing my limits.  I would get low, and work my way back up.  I like giving myself a bit of a challenge :).  I milked every bit of lift I could, until the clouds covered the sun.  This was my only poor, or slightly bad landing.  The winds were nil, and I flared a little early.  I landed softly on my feet, but I let the nose of the glider slowly and gently touch the ground.  I hear Kevin, who is right above me, setting up his landing approach yell, "Wack" :).  Come on dude, so not a wack, but you got to be perfect here :).  Still, I am super stoked, and real happy that I got to fly again!  Stephen takes me to my first Del Taco, chicken soft taco thursdays!  So cheap and better than Taco Bell!  Then off to free pool night to share some drinks with Dusty and Kathy, the hardcore San Bernardino locals, and Lua, Stephens paragliding girlfriend.  Still making friends!  Friday is the beginning of Wills Wing demo days so gotta get some rest :).

No comments: