Tuesday, June 10, 2014

A Solid Change

        Damn where did winter go...  When they say "things go crazy on Maui when the waves go away," they weren't kidding.  I recently have been affected by some changes in my lifestyle that have challenged me and my ability to be passive. 
About 4 months ago we lost the HangGlide cite know as 6k.  This is the Greatest Thermal Flying cite of the Pacific.  Here two air masses 1. Trade winds of the Pacific 2. The convective heating air from central Maui and the Shadowed area of Haleakala standing at 10,000 ft.  Given the right day, it is an incredible Thermal producing, Safe, and easy place to Fly!  My father and his friends have pioneered this amazing flying cite for the past 20 years.
          On the better side to the situation I have been re-pioneering the flying site on the West Maui's known as Sea Cliffs.  I live about 5 mins down the road, and have kited the same winds for the last 6 years at our Windswell break Sandpiles.  I love this area of Maui and have Surfed, Hiked, and Kited here consistantly.  Adding the Ridge Soar Hanggliding has given me my own personal heaven in a 10 mile radius.  It hasn't been until recently have I had any problems flying this cite, until a Homeless Squatter guy, who has always been real nice and supportive, went crazy on me with threats to my Body, Gear, and Future.  This greatly disturbed me and has been a bother.  So I am down to zero confrontation free soar-able flying cites.
          With the banning of Haleakala flying, I knew my summer was in danger so I dedicated myself to finding a Job.  I looked on Craigslist and saw a listing for Haleakala Bike Tour.  I love this mountain so I gave it a call.  On first conversation with the boss, "Your dad Puts flew me from the Crater to Hana on his Hangglider."  Lets just say, I got the job.  My Goal was to get a job that I could get time after work to go to Kite,Surf, or Hang Glide.  I start at the ridiculously early time of 1 a.m. and I finish at the time of 1 p.m.   I won't say it is the easiest of hours, but I am strong and have been going 6 days a week for the past 3 months.  I enjoy the Job, the People (Tourist and Company), money, and the time afterwork.  I do fall asleep at 7 p.m. everyday though.
        As of lately I have been Coaching Kiteboarding with an Awesome family.  I have recently Quit a job I have been working Part Time for 6 years.  I am changing kite companies, away from the ones I have loved for the last 6 years.  I saved more money than I ever have before. And I just can't wait till summer is over so I can quit my job and Surf/kite/ and illegally HangGlide everyday.
       Some people say that they are Proud I am working hard.  Some people yell and scrutinize me for trying to have fun.  Some people thank me for doing a great job.  Some people are disappointed I have quit.  I myself am happy I am handling not doing alot of the things I love, and dedicated an enormous amount of time to making some savings.  I hope in the future I made all good decisions and I will be able to live the life I love.

1 comment:

Cruser Putnam said...

A year later you quit that Job 3 times now :) you gots money, illegally hanggliding some and surfing like a mad man. Keep it up bawse life better when you don't spend money and you have No real job and you play alot