Thursday, January 31, 2013

Friday Fun

Friday Flight

After rushing up the hill from my previous attempts for a good activity of the day: Battlefield, Surf Ho'okipa, attempted to work, and tried to by a surfboard.  I was setting up at 6k, the name of our Hang Glide launch up Haleakala, Maui.  It's located near the 6 mile marker on Crater rd.  I was alone on this attempt of flying but I was feeling pretty good.  The clouds looked perfect an the wind was nice.  After rushing to set up my glider and preform the necessary harness and glider checks, I was ready to go.  Just as a low bellied cloud rolled in.   Visibility went from perfect to nothing.  There are a few tree clusters that could easily ruin a day.  I quickly called a friend on the ground for a safety in case I mess up.
        My launch clouds were looking ugly but not thick, so I decided to charge em.  I had perfect launch wind and called out a loud "Clear".  A few steps later I was in the air, ready to duck some clouds.  Getting into my harness, I experienced a PIO or pilot induces oscillation, meaning the glider swerved left and right at high speeds near the ground.  Not my best move, but I blame it on a small harness.  After gaining control, I was through the patch of clouds and seeings clear sky.  Far out in front of me, I saw cumulus clouds building everywhere.  I decided to take a straight line to the biggest darkest motha I could see.  I pulled my VG on full for my best glide to get there high.
      Beep Beep Beep, Boom it was on flew into Cloudbase and had one epic flight.

No comments: